Barrister (Chief) Agbama Usele Goddey (Head)
The Unit carries out the following responsibilities:
• Providing correct Legal interpretations of the Law establishing the Commission vis-à-vis its daily operations and guiding it on the right path.
• Providing advisory and general legal services to the Commission on matters affecting its daily operations.
STRUCTURE OF THE UNIT:
The Legal unit is responsible to the Chairman of the Commission. It is made up of three sections as follows:-
- Litigation/Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Legal Drafting.
- Advisory Services/ Legal Aids
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LEGAL UNIT
• Providing correct legal interpretations of the law establishing the Commission on all matters relating to its daily operations.
• Providing advisory general legal services to the Commission on matters affecting its operations.
• Appearing in courts on behalf of the Commission on all civil and criminal cases brought against DESOPADEC.
• Participates in the resolution of disputes in Oil Producing Communities as well as in negotiations with benefiting communities on land acquisition for Commission’s projects and supervise the payment of compensations to identified property owners.
• Advising the Commission at all time on the legal aspect of Environmental protection vis-à-vis its social responsibilities.
• Formulates and executes all training programmes for legal officers in the Commission.
• Documenting, monitoring and following up law suits against the Commission and regular review of the status of these cases in court.
• Preparing necessary contract agreements for the Commission and clients having business with it.
• Ensuring that contract agreements are promptly drawn up and signed by the Commission and its clients in respect of all major contracts awarded.
• Rendering periodic reports on the activities of the Legal Unit.
• Liaising with the State Ministry of Justice and other relevant agencies with a view to seeking legal advices on matters affecting the Commission.
• Providing the Commission with up-to-date statute books, Law Reports, Journals and Federal/State Laws/Gazettes.
Handling all other legal matters incidental to the Commission’s operations.