DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, PUBLIC ENLIGHTENMENT, CULTURE AND TOURISM
UBEKU F. E. (Head)
PURPOSE OF THE DEPARTMENT:
• Mobilising and sensitising Communities for self-help and development projects.
• Understanding the culture of Communities and promoting same to State, National and International standards.
Promoting tourism to State, National and International standards.
The Department consists of three (3) Divisions as follows:-
• Community Development.
• Community Enlightenment.
• Culture and Tourism.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT:-
• Mobilising and Sensitising Communities in identifying priority Community Development Project(s) for implementation.
• Conducting enquiries into social and cultural factors affecting the execution of Community Development Projects in the Commission's area of operation.
• Advising on Community Development matters.
• Conducting enlightenment programs of DESOPADEC through Billboards, Town Criers and Town Hall meetings.
• Supervising the planning and production of technical literature and publicity materials on Community Development.
• Carrying out research into cultural festivals in the Commission's mandate area.
• Gathering materials for background history of each cultural group and its people within the mandate area, aimed at promoting the culture, traditions and festivals of the people.
• Updating existing cultural events within the Communities in the Commission's mandate areas.
• Arranging Town Hall meetings.
• Liaising with host Community leaders to ascertain the role the Commission should play to assist them to showcase their cultural events and the need for their involvement in peace engineering within and beyonf the Commission's mandate areas.
• To identify landmark places of interest that can be developed into potential tourism sites in the oil producing areas of the State.
• Coordinating the activities of the 19 Area Offices of the Commission.
• Provision of Bursary for indigenes of Oil Producing communities in tertiary institutions.
• Promoting education for migrant fishermen, etc, in riverine communities of Oil Producing Areas.
• Providing quality, primary health care services to the Commission’s staff where a sick bay or a staff clinic is available.
• Supervising activities of health care consultants/contractors providing health care to Communities in the mandate areas
• Advising the Commission on the formulation of policies and objectives for medical programmes.
• Ensuring compliance with the Safety regulations of the Commission.
• Assisting in running safety courses for staff of the Commission.
• Ensuring that the all project being executed by the Commission conform with the requirements of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
• Liaising with the DELSEPA on environmental issues.